A lawyer with exceptional leadership skills, Marie-Pier Baril stands out for her entrepreneurial spirit and her intimate knowledge of the Quebec SME community. She advises an impressive portfolio of clients in the Greater Quebec City area and the Centre-du-Québec region in corporate and business law. When faced with complex situations, she works tirelessly to unite the forces of multiple shareholders to achieve a common objective.
With a particular focus on corporate governance, Marie-Pier regularly participates in the negotiation and drafting of shareholder agreements and various types of commercial contracts. She has been involved in several tax and estate planning, corporate restructuring, succession and business transfer matters.
A graduate of the Université de Sherbrooke, she received the Barreau du Québec prize and the Dean of the Law Faculty prize for academic excellence and involvement in university life. Since then, she has given several conferences on her areas of expertise, including shareholder relations and financial and estate planning. She has also served on a number of boards, including early childhood and health. In order to better serve our clients facing estate issues, Marie-Pier has deepened her knowledge in this field, which she is passionate about, by currently completing a Master of Law’s degree in which she is studying the exercise of decision-making power by the trustees of testamentary trusts.
Marie-Pier is also in charge of recruiting students for BCF. She is co-responsible for attracting top talent to lay the groundwork for BCF’s future.
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (2009)
- LL.B., Université de Sherbrooke (2008)
« La relève de l’entreprise et la planification successorale : gérer le risque… ou gérer la crise »
Marie-Pier Baril and Pierre Lamontagne, Droit des PME, Collection Centre d’études en droit économique (Charlaine Bouchard, Dir.), Cowansville, Éditions Yvon Blais, 2011, p. 491
February 15, 2019
Recent Developments in the Trusts Field ", Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF) Luncheon Conference;
January 27, 2019
The acquisition of a technology company by a Russian company. Have sellers lost their minds?”, FEDQ (Fédération des étudiants et étudiantes en droit du Québec) Symposium;
May 2, 2018
"Six stories to make you half scared to death", private presentation in estate law;
May 18, 2017
"Trusts and family law, an explosive mix", Luncheon conference of the Association de planification fiscal et financière (APFF), Quebec;
"Agreements between shareholders, what case law teaches us!”;
"Competition law: a presentation adjusted to your business";
November 26, 2015
"Financial Planning: Trends and Tips in Wealth Management" (in collaboration with Serge Lessard and Alain Bertrand), Retirement and Investment Seminar (and Asset Management), Cercle Finance Québec;
November 5, 2014
"The Shareholders’ Convention: Practical Aspects" (in collaboration with Émilie Nadeau), 2014 Corporate Growth Symposium, Colloquium Business Events;
January 31, 2013
"The devil is in the details" (in collaboration with Julie Loranger), APFF Estate Planning Symposium, Quebec;
"Everything you've always wanted to know about estate settlements" (in collaboration with Julie Loranger), accounting firms in the Quebec City region;
Presentations given to more than a dozen accounting firms in the Quebec City area on the new Quebec Business Corporations Act;
November 28, 2010
Conference on the accountability of directors of cooperatives.
- Member of the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF)
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the committee Activités régionales de Québec de L’APFF (2019);
- Member of the organizing committee Organisation des Homardises au profit de Cité Joie (2019);
- Vice-president and member of the Board of Directors of the CPE La Petite Cité;
- Member of the Board of Directors of the CSSS de la Vieille-Capitale (2014-2015);
- Member of the Association de planification fiscale et financière's committee on estate settlement conference 2015, Québec;
- Member of the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) succession committee 2009-2014;
- Member of the organizing committee for the 2013 APFF _Colloque sur la planification successorale;
- Member of the organizing committee for the 2013 APFF Colloque sur les fiducies.