Partner, Lawyer Quebec Bar, Avocat à la Cour, Paris Bar
Based in Paris, Philippe Therias has been instrumental in setting up in 2018 BCF Global, the Intellectual Property arm of BCF in Europe, of which he is the general manager. He is an engineer and a law school graduate with additional education in patent and trademark law, in patent litigation in Europe, as well as in mediation. He is a member of the Paris Bar and the Barreau du Québec and a registered patent and trademark Attorney with the European and French offices.
Prior to that, Philippe had practiced in-house, and drawn a wealth of experience from his various positions of Counsel at IBM, Airbus and Alcatel Lucent, leading him to practice patents and trademarks in France, but also in the United States (3 years) and in Canada (4 years). The technologies of these companies, and the nature of their operations and markets, led him to develop additional expertise regarding copyright in relation to software, and regarding contractual techniques. Despite his being regularly involved in Intellectual Property disputes, Philippe has a preference for prevention or amicable resolution, through the implementation of corporate internal processes, and/or the negotiation of contracts. He drafted and negotiated Intellectual Property provisions in numerous instances of procurement, sales and development agreements, under the form of assignments or licenses.
The variety of Intellectual Property situations he has already encountered helps him approach business issues from a global perspective. Having been in-house makes him sensitive to costs and internal conflicts in company direction. His listening abilities translates into practical and efficient advice.
- Called to the Paris Bar
- Called to the Barreau du Québec
- European and French patent and trademark Attorney
- Degree in Patent Litigation in Europe, EPI/CEIPI, Université de Strasbourg
- CEIPI Degree, patents and trademarks, Université de Strasbourg
- Master in private law (judicial careers), Université de Nice-Sophia Antipolis
- Engineering Diploma (micro-electronics and software), ESIEE, Paris
Philippe presents regularly on open source software issues.
- Member of APEB, AIPPI, and LES-France;
- Formerly: President of ASPI, member of the FEMIP Bureau and member of the EPI Council.
- Philippe handles the “IP and innovation management” course within the “IP Manager” curriculum of the Forum Institut (https://www.forum-institut.com/).