Isabelle Landry is a leader who is genuine, forthright and direct and whose ability to be frank with those who seek her advice sets her apart. Her approach is to form a team with them so they can take advantage of each other’s strengths. In this spirit of cooperation, she makes a point of keeping our clients informed of every step in the progress of the file and the various future decisions to be made. Working closely with our clients, she sees them through all the steps that are necessary to achieve the objectives that best suit their needs. Whether representing our clients’ rights before the various authorities or negotiating a settlement on their behalf, she has the ability to analyze a situation from every angle while factoring in the various imperatives, including the financial ones, with a view to proposing an appropriate and optimal strategy.
Meticulous and discerning, she makes sure she has a full understanding of the issues and the particularities of every situation. Creative, a good listener and mindful of her commitments and deadlines, she wins the trust of our clients and knows how to put them at ease.
Isabelle specializes in municipal and real estate law (zoning and urban planning), in environmental and public law, particularly relating to the granting of contracts of public organizations, ethics, lobbying and access to information.
Isabelle is also a member of our Class Action Defence group, uniquely attuned to the Quebec court system and sensitive to its specificities. Our team of litigators has developed extensive expertise in defending class actions and has, over the years, successfully represented defendants in numerous instances.
Isabelle has spoken on ethics, deontology, access to information, zoning, environment and on the contracting process for public organizations.
Isabelle represents both public sector clients, including municipalities or government organizations, as well as private sector entities in connection with their relations with various public entities.
Winner of the prestigious Lexpert Rising Stars award for the leading lawyers under 40 in Canada in 2019. Since 2020, Isabelle's expertise has been recognized in the prestigious Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (2006)
- LL.B., Université Laval (2004)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert (2020) - Property Development
- Canadian Legal Lexpert (2019) - Rising Star: Leading Lawyers Under 40
“Guide d’aide à la prise de décision – l’encadrement municipal de l’hébergement touristique, Union des municipalités du Québec”
Co-authored with Audrey-Anne Béland, January 2020.
“L’usage accessoire religieux et le CCU: la diversification des usages dans les bâtiments religieux et l’acquisition de ces bâtiments par les municipalités”
Revue québécoise d’urbanisme, mars 2019
"L’usage accessoire religieux et le CCU: la diversification des usages dans les bâtiments religieux et l’acquisition de ces bâtiments par les municipalités"
Revue québécoise d’urbanisme, March 2019
"La réglementation municipale à l’ère d’Airbnb"
Développements récents en droit municipal (2018), vol. 442, Co-authored with Audrey Anne Béland, January 2018
"Les impacts de la Loi concernant la conservation des milieux humides et hydriques sur les projets de développement immobiliers"
Espace Québec, vol. 24 no 1, May 2018
"L'encadrement juridique du pouvoir des municipalités de stimuler le développement économique"
Immobilier commercial Magazine, February-March 2018
"Conservation des milieux humides et hydriques - Loi 132 - L'Industrie du granulat attend des réformes"
Constats / Association des constructeurs de routes et de grands travaux du Québec (ACRGTQ), January 2018
"Les droits acquis et l'usage dit "accessoire" - Comment s'y retrouver?"
Bâti-Vert / Corporation des officiers municipaux en bâtiment et en environnement (COMBEQ), January 2018
"Des organismes publics plus sévères que la loi en matière de lobbyisme"
Institut québécois d'affaires publiques, June 2017
"Construis-moi une loi!"
Scribe / Magazine de l'Association des directeurs municipaux du Québec (ADMQ), interview given by Isabelle, February 2017
"Que faire quand un citoyen demande accès à l'information de façon répétitive, excessive? - La réponse de l'expert"
Scribe / Magazine de l'Association des directeurs municipaux du Québec (ADMQ), February 2017
"Subjectif, le contrôle des nuisances?"
Bâti-Vert / Corporation des officiers municipaux en bâtiment et en environnement du Québec (COMBEQ), Co-authored with Véronique Briand-Carle, January 2017
"Guide sur la gestion des cours d'eau du Québec"
Association des gestionnaires régionaux des cours d'eau du Québec (AGRCQ), December 2016e
“The Consequences of Failing to Register as a Lobbyist”
Public hearings, Institut québécois d'affaires publiques, October 24, 2016
“What to do in the Case of Interference in the Role of the Municipal Director?”
Scribe magazine / The leading source of information for Québec’s municipal directors, Isabelle answers a question put by the director general of a municipality who is wondering how to properly exercise his role when he gets the impression that the municipal council wants to do it in his place, September 2016;
"The Lobbyists Commissioner Wants to Withdraw Bill 56"
Public hearing / Institut québécois d'affaires publiques, a status report on Bill 56, intended to reform the Lobbying Transparency and Ethics Act following the deposit of the Commissioner’s report in June 2016, September 11, 2016
"Le rôle du CCU dans la protection du paysage"
Revue québécoise d'urbanisme / Association québécoise d'urbanisme, March 2016
La réponse de l'expert - "Un contrat ne peut pas être divisé"
Le Magazine Scribe, page 4 (French only) / Association des directeurs municipaux du Québec, February 2016
"Les Municipalités et l'imposition de restrictions à la navigation"
Bâti Vert, January 2016
“Les pouvoirs municipaux en matière de protection des sources d’approvisionnement en eau potable”
Bâti-Vert, vol. 19 no 1, Winter 2015
“Terrain contaminé – quelles sont vos obligations?”
(Co-authored with Nathalie Lavoie), Espace Québec, vol. 19, No. 1, 2013
"L’évolution de la notion de troubles de voisinage en matière environnementale: questionnements et distinctions"
Professional development seminar, Barreau du Québec, Développement récents en droit de l’environnement (2013), Cowansville, Éditions Yvon Blais, p. 1
"La planification: un remède à bien des maux"
Revue québécoise d’urbanisme, May 2013
"Quelques bases essentielles en droit municipal – Pour des transactions immobilières"
published in the newsletter of the Chambre de commerce et d'industrie de Québec
"Pouvoirs municipaux en matière d'aménagement durable des forêts"
Revue québécoise d'urbanisme, Fall 2011
"Protection du paysage urbain, outils juridiques à la portée des municipalités"
Revue québécoise d'urbanisme, Summer 2011
"Pouvoirs municipaux en matière d'aménagement durable des forêts"
Revue québécoise d'urbanisme, Fall 2011
- Successful case in a disguised expropriation case against the City of Lorraine. Isabelle represented a developer who was affected by a change in the zoning by-law on his land. The City of Lorraine issued a notice of reserve for expropriation. When the notice expired, the City upheld the amended zoning by-law without expropriating the developer but without compensating him either. The developer was granted leave to claim fair compensation and the proceedings to set the value of the damages are continuing in Superior Court;
- A landowner in an expropriation case to recover the fair value of his part of the land from which he was expropriated. Our client was awarded more than $200,000 in damages when the initial amount offered was approximately $20,000;
- Acted for owners wishing to sell part of their farmland to a farmer and keep the part that is a maple grove. This case is awaiting the TAQ’s review judgment following the CPTAQ’s unfavourable decision;
- Obtained an early settlement in a case where a bar owner had his license revoked because it had been mistakenly granted to him by the City. We initially assisted him in his attempt to obtain the right to a conditional use. After the refusal, an action for damages against the City was instituted and a prompt and satisfactory settlement was reached for the plaintiff;
- First instance case won on the liability aspect in an action for disguised expropriation. The real estate developer was unable to carry out his project following a rezoning by the City of Lorraine making it impossible to use it for any purpose. The file on the liability aspect is currently awaiting a hearing before the Court of Appeal;
- Won her case in a major judgment involving the expropriation of a potable water source. Isabelle represented the expropriated parties who were merely being offered a few thousand dollars to expropriate their water source. With the help of experts, Isabelle was able to demonstrate that the best and most profitable use of the expropriated parcel of land was commercial water pumping. Accordingly, she was able to obtain a significant indemnity for her clients. The judgment by the Tribunal administratif du Québec was affirmed on appeal when the Court of Québec denied leave to appeal in May 2018;
- Obtaining a settlement on behalf of a municipality in a looming major dispute with a real estate developer that was in receivership. A residential sector comprising some 30 properties, some of which were either already built or were being built notwithstanding that the public infrastructure was not yet completed or transferred to the municipality (streets and water treatment plant), was completed within a reasonable period of time and the claims from various parties were duly addressed without getting involved in costly legal proceedings;
- Extreme diligence in the obtaining and execution of judgments (first instance and Court of Appeal) for the recognition of vested subdivision rights, thereby avoiding a demolition order for a newly built home and allowing the owner to preserve the value of his investment while the municipality was able to avert a potential condemnation to pay damages;
- Obtaining a settlement on behalf of a school board, thereby avoiding lawsuits further to a negligent oil spill on the grounds of an elementary school. Managing the implementation of the settlement, including the demolition of the school, the relocation of the students and the decontamination of the soil and groundwater. After the settlement, obtaining a favourable judgment on the motion by the oil delivery company for reimbursement of the performance bond validly cashed by the school board.
Speaker, "La réglementation municipale à l’ère d’Airbnb", (co-presenter with Audrey-Anne Béland)
Développements récents en droit municipal (2018), Bécancour, April 2018
Speaker, "La gestion des nuisances par les municipalités et l’enjeu de la gestion des chiens de type Pitbull"
(co-presenter, with Véronique Briand-Carle), Congrès 2017 de l’Association des directeurs municipaux du Québec, June 14, 2017
Speaker, "L’acceptabilité sociale : le point de vue juridique"
Quebec city, February 2017, Boucherville, June 2017, Laval, June 017
Speaker, "L’acceptabilité de projets de développement : Pourquoi et comment?"
Quebec city, February 2017, Boucherville, June 2017, Laval, June 2017
Speaker, "Aménagement durable du territoire : de la théorie vers la pratique"
symposium, Quebec City, October 6, 2015, Montreal, October 15, 2015
Speaker, "Les pouvoirs d'urgence en matière d'octroi de contrats publics"
Les Rendez-Vous SAM (FQM), September 24, 2015
Speaker, "Comment faire face aux demandes abusives en matière d’accès à l’information"
Association des directeurs municipaux du Québec’s annual convention, June 18, 2015
Speaker, "Concepts de base pour accomplir votre rôle au sein du Comité consultatif d’urbanisme"
Association québécoise d’urbanisme, June 14, 2014
Speaker, "Loi sur l’intégrité en matière d’octroi de contrats publics"
Association des directeurs municipaux du Québec, June 12, 2014
Speaker, "Démystification des pouvoirs municipaux en environnement"
Fédération québécoise des municipalités' Annual Conference, Quebec city, September 27, 2013
Speaker, "La responsabilité extracontractuelle des municipalités"
2013 Association des directeurs municipaux du Québec’s annual convention, Quebec, June 12, 2013
Speaker, "L’évolution de la notion de troubles de voisinage en matière environnementale : questionnements et distinctions"
Professional Development Seminar, Barreau du Québec, May 24, 2013
Speaker, "Rendez-vous juridique – Précisions relatives à la gestion des cours d’eau, récentes jurisprudences et questions/réponses"
Association des gestionnaires régionaux de cours d’eau du Québec (AGRCQ)’s Annual Seminar, Mont Sainte-Anne, April 11, 2013
Speaker, "Loi sur l’intégrité en matière de contrats publics"
Association des constructeurs de routes et de grands travaux, April 4, 2013
Speaker, "La planification, un remède à bien des maux"
Symposium of the Fédération québécoise des Municipalités, September 29, 2012
Presentation of a standard employment agreement proposed by the ADMQ to its municipality board of directors' members
Association des directeurs municipaux du Québec, 2012 Conference, June 8, 2012
- President of the Institut canadien de Québec (ICQ) since june 2020;
- Secretary of the Institut canadien de Québec (ICQ) from 2018 to 2020;
- Member of the Québec regional board (QRB), Urban Development Institute of Québec (UDI) from 2017 to 2020;
- Administrator then secretary of the Association québécoise des lobbyistes (AQL) from 2016 to 2018.