A specialist in civil, administrative and commercial litigation, as well as alternative dispute resolution, Frédéric Côté is distinguished by his composure, his structured approach, his intellectual discipline and his reliability. Our clients naturally turn to him to solve their complex technical disputes.
Frédéric has piloted multi-million dollar expropriation, environmental and construction cases requiring the management of complex expertise. He represents many real estate clients and is one of the leaders of BCF’s Administrative, Municipal and Environmental Law group. Frédéric also has considerable experience in appeals before the Court of Appeal of Quebec and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Frédéric is known for his expertise in commercial arbitration. In this capacity, he is actively involved in the Quebec and Canadian legal community, including serving on the Board of Directors of Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners (YCAP). He also
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (2007)
- B.C.L., McGill University (2006)
- LL.B., McGill University (2006)
“Enforcement of Arbitral Awards in Canada”
2008 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada (in collaboration with Éric Ouimet)
“L’arbitrage consensuel au Québec”
Frédéric participated in the preparation of this book, by Babak Barin and Marie-Claude Rigaud published by the Éditions Yvon Blais, 2010. He also assisted in the preparation of articles by the same authors
- Counsel for real estate developers in disguised expropriation proceedings before the Superior Court of Quebec and in expropriation proceedings before the Tribunal administratif du Québec involving compensation exceeding $100 million following the expropriation of land by a municipality of the North Shore of Montreal;
- Counsel for a real estate developer in a dispute that led to the award of an injunction to modify a major road infrastructure to restore the natural flow of land as well as the protection afforded to illegally flooded land by the Environment Quality Act;
- Counsel for the Arbitration Board of the Barreau du Québec’s Counsel Accounts in cases concerning the type of action to be made against arbitration awards rendered by professional arbitration boards (Superior Court of Quebec and Quebec Court of Appeal.);
- Counsel for the Barreau du Québec, the Federation of Law Societies of Canada and ADR Chambers in interventions before the Supreme Court of Canada;
- Counsel for real estate developers in disguised expropriation proceedings resulting from the municipal and regional regulations adopted by cities and MRC/agglomerations on Montreal’s South Shore. The claim was in the tens of millions of dollars;
- Counsel to a foreign company in proceedings for the recognition and enforcement of an arbitral award made in its favour by the ICC granting it more than 100 million dollars;
- Counsel to Société d'investissements l'Excellence inc. in a case involving the existence of an implied duty of confidentiality in consensual arbitration (Superior Court of Québec, Quebec Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of Canada);
- list item 3
- Member of the team of lawyers representing Louis Dreyfus Company in large-scale ICC arbitrations concerning interests relating to a European refinery and in procedures for the annulment of the resulting arbitration awards (ICC Court of Arbitration, Superior Court of Quebec and Quebec Court of Appeal).
- Barreau du Québec
- Member of the board, Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners (YCAP), December 2016
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Frédéric is also the BCF representative for ProBono Québec. In that capacity, he oversees and acts in cases on behalf of individuals who have called on the services of the organization.