With more than 30 years of experience, François Valin is a valuable asset to BCF’s Quebec office. He brings skills, extreme efficiency and reliability to his practice in banking law, bankruptcy and insolvency.
François represents businesses, directors, trustees, controllers, receivers and financial institutions. Throughout his career, he has been involved in the restructurings files such as Groupe de Scieries GDS and Serres du Saint-Laurent (Savoura), Sigmadek and, more recently, Les Entreprises Vagabond. He represents the provisional administrator in garantee plan cases for Garantie Abritat, GMN and Qualité Habitation. He is also involved in several business acquisitions and sales, including Hôtel Le Concorde, Delta Hotels Quebec and Hotel Forestel in Val d’Or.
Passionate about business law and very active in his community, François is President of the professional inspection committee of the Barreau du Québec. He was a member of the board of examiners for the assignment of bankruptcy trustee licenses. He has contributed to the Alter Ego and Précis publication entitled Loi sur la faillite et l’insolvabilité written by Professor Emeritus Jacques Deslauriers. He has lectured on bankruptcy and restructuring at numerous conferences for Quebec and Canadian insolvency associations, the Canadian Bar, the Barreau du Québec and Université Laval.
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1989)
- LL.B. Université Laval (1988)
Symposium, Faculté de droit, Université Laval, 2012;
“Bilan jurisprudentiel trimestriel”
Association québécoise des professionnels en insolvabilité (A.Q.P.R.I.), 2001 and 2002;
“Loi sur la faillite et l'insolvabilité”
In collaboration with Jacques Deslauriers, Wilson & Lafleur, 1996, 1998 and 2004;
“Précis de la faillite et l’insolvabilité”
In collaboration with Jacques Deslauriers, Wilson & Lafleur, 2004 and 2011;
“Précis de droit des sûretés”
Wilson & Lafleur (with Jacques Deslauriers), 1990.
- Attorney for Provisional Administrator Raymond Chabot Provisional Administrator Inc. for guarantee plan cases for Garantie Abritat, GMN and Qualité Habitation;
- Attorney for the Royal Bank of Canada in the restructuring of several companies;
- Attorney for the National Bank of Canada in the restructuring several companies;
- Attorney for Raymond Chabot Inc. and several other insolvency trustees in various corporate restructuring and bankruptcy cases;
- Attorney for various franchisors and franchisees in various litigation cases, including Doolys and Treats;
- Attorney for the company that acquired Hôtel Le Concorde in Quebec City in 2014;
- Attorney for the company that acquired Delta Hotels Quebec in 2018 and its sale in 2020;
- Attorney for the company who acquired and developed the Aztec Resort in Margate, Florida;
- Attorney for several companies under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act or any similar Act as creditors or debtors;
- Attorney for several companies in the acquisition or sale of manufacturing companies, hotels or other companies.
Speaker, October, 2012 and 2014;
“Droit des sûretés et de l’insolvabilité”, Conferences on bankruptcy and insolvency law organized by the Faculty of Law of Université Laval, in collaboration with the Barreau de Quebec
Numerous conferences to members of Quebec and Canadian insolvency associations, the Barreau du Québec and Université Laval in restructuring and insolvency matters and also concerning the liability of directors in the context of insolvency.
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1989
- President of the Professional Inspection Committee of the Barreau du Québec;
- Collaborator to the development of examinations for the assignment of bankruptcy trustee licenses;
- Member of the board of examiners for the assignment of bankruptcy trustee licenses;
- Lecturer in law (securities, bankruptcy and insolvency), Faculté de droit, Université Laval, 1999 to 2001;
- Member of the Professional Inspection Committee of the Barreau du Québec since June 2001 before his nomination as President in March 2021.