- Certified Mediator (civil and commercial), Barreau du Québec, 2014
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (1999)
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1987)
- LL.B. Université de Montréal (1985)
French version is available here.
Eric Ouimet is one of BCF’s founding partners.
On the strength of his vast experience, Mr. Ouimet has developed in-depth expertise in industry and commerce with respect to construction, production units and processes. He mainly represents entrepreneurs from different fields, including manufacturing and high-tech businesses. He distinguishes himself through his ability to identify the real technical and strategic issues at stake for his clients. He also has specialized expertise in the area of responsibility of the manufacturer, intellectual property, real estate and construction.
Mr. Ouimet specializes in commercial litigation and alternative dispute resolution. He has pleaded before every common law tribunal (including the Federal Court) as well as arbitration tribunals. He also sits as arbitrator in domestic and international matters, including ICC matters.
- Barreau du Québec
- Canadian Bar Association
- Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal
- Institut canadien de la propriété intellectuelle du Canada
- International Law Association
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Securing and executing an Anton Piller Order following an attempt by former employees and an actual employee to clone a microelectronics design and manufacturing company.
- Safeguard order with respect to trademarks and copyright and confirmation by the court that in relation to these matters, the violation of rights is constant in response to a lack of urgency argument.
- Litigation and legal opinions pertaining to patents in various fields, including sports facilities (artificial turf and sports surfaces), manufacturing processes of new generation lithium-ion batteries, design and manufacturing of dental prostheses, movable scaffolding systems, tracks and suspension systems for lightweight vehicles.
- Construction Law: claims related to the construction of a dyking system at James Bay, the internal systems with respect to the construction of museums, sports facilities, resulting from the failure of a retaining wall during the construction of a skyscraper, petrochemical units, damages resulting from a fire in a world-class laboratory, applicability of requirements related to fire protection in research facilities and implementation of corrective measures further to an agreement with surveillance authorities.
- Manufacturing and responsibility of the manufacturer: industrial heat exchangers in the petrochemical industry, electrical performance of an alternator integrated into generators used in an AWACS system, industrial printing machines for wrapping systems, recall of heating units.
- Real Estate: commercial leases, contestation of a non-use servitude, contestation of an expropriation in the context of road repairs.
- Litigation between shareholders: in the fields of microelectronics, real estate and aviation.
- Mr. Ouimet sat for the two previous terms on BCF’s board of directors. He is currently co-leader of BCF’s Dispute Resolution practice group as well as the Construction, Infrastructure and Manufacturing practice group.
- He currently sits on the executive committee for North America of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and participates as a tutor during practical courses on international commercial arbitration with the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- He is one of the directors of the Canadian Arbitration Congress.
- He was the director and treasurer of the 2006 Congress organizing committee of the International Council on Commercial Arbitration (ICCA).
- As part of his community involvement, he has sat on the Executive Committee of Pointe-Claire Yacht Club and of Lakeshore Ski Club. He is also an amateur soccer coach.
- "Recent Developments in Canadian Arbitration Law," (with Babak Barin and Vikki Andrighetti), Global Arbitration Review, The Arbitration Review of the Americas, 2008 .
- "Enforcement of Arbitral Awards in Canada," (with Frédéric Côté), Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada, 2008.
- "Plans d'architectes et droits d'auteur," (with Pascal Fréchette), Canadian Bar Association, Construction Law and Intellectual Property sectors, April 10, 2003.