Partner, Lawyer, Head of the Montreal Litigation Group
Eric Ouimet is head of BCF’s Litigation group and a founding partner of the firm. With over 30 years of experience, he is a senior partner in commercial litigation and dispute resolution.
His ability to identify our clients’ technical and strategic issues makes him an invaluable counsel in matters pertaining to manufacters’ and designers’ liability, intellectual property infringements, as well as privacy and data protection. He is a seasoned practitioner in intellectual property and technology related to construction and manufacturing processes.
Highly respected in commercial litigation, Eric has significant experience in injunctions, including Anton Piller orders, which allows us to act quickly to defend our clients’ interests. He acts on behalf of companies in various industries before provincial and federal courts and arbitration tribunals.
Eric is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a mediator in civil and commercial law matters, duly accredited by the Barreau du Québec (Quebec Bar). He also holds the CIPP/E certification with respect to Europe’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (2018)
- Certified Mediator (civil and commercial), Barreau du Québec (2014)
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (1999)
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1987)
- LL.B. Université de Montréal (1985)
- Best Lawyers (2021-2022) - Alternative Dispute Resolution
bcf.ca, July 2020
“Recent Developments in Canadian Arbitration Law,”
(with Babak Barin and Vikki Andrighetti), Global Arbitration Review, The Arbitration Review of the Americas, 2008
“Enforcement of Arbitral Awards in Canada,”
(with Frédéric Côté), Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada, 2008
“Plans d'architectes et droits d'auteur,”
(with Pascal Fréchette), Canadian Bar Association, Construction Law and Intellectual Property sectors, April 10, 2003
- Acted on behalf of a company in the technology and automation field in obtaining and enforcing Norwich and Anton Piller orders to identify the source of a private computer network intrusion;
- Acted on behalf of a building owner who saw the stability of his building undermined during the excavation phase of the construction of an adjacent 20+ story residential building in a real estate dispute;
- Acted on behalf of a public company operating in the petrochemical sector in connection with the construction of a desulphurization unit;
- Acted on behalf of manufacturers of industrial heat exchangers in commercial disputes related to equipment performance;
- Acted on behalf of a North American manufacturer of high efficiency ventilation units in the negotiation of a settlement with stakeholders in an industrial real estate project;
- Acted as arbitrator in an international arbitration for the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC International) regarding the performance of the parties' obligations in the context of licences for pharmaceutical clinical studies;
- Acted as arbitrator and counsel in numerous international and domestic arbitrations;
- Acted on behalf of a digital dental patent holder in patent infringement litigation;
- Acted on behalf of a manufacturing company in a commercial dispute concerning the filling of a quarry and the quality of the buried products;
- Acted on behalf of Soucy International Inc. and Kimpex Inc. in the dismissal of an action for infringement of three patents and invalidation of 246 claims relating to tracked systems for off-road vehicles;
- Acted on behalf of a U.S. publicly-owned telecommunications company in commercial lease litigation; implemented a strategy to prevent safeguard orders;
- Acted on behalf of a manufacturer of snow plough systems in injunction and patent infringement litigation;
- Acted on behalf of a company operating in the construction industry in a dispute regarding a non-competition clause and use of confidential information involving a former employee;
- Acted on behalf of a company operating in the motorsports industry in the context of the manufacturer's liability with respect to the recall of products distributed worldwide;
- Acted on behalf of a world-class manufacturing company in the mining sector; obtained and enforced an Anton Piller order following the theft of hundreds of thousands of blueprints and technical drawings by a former employee;
- Acted on behalf of a micro-electronics design and manufacturing company in obtaining and enforcing an Anton Piller order following the attempted cloning of the company by former employees;
- Acted on behalf of a company manufacturing and distributing passive solar panel systems; obtained a safeguard order in matters of unfair competition and use of copyrights; confirmed by the Superior Court of Québec that the infringement of copyrights is constant in response to an argument of lack of urgency;
- Acted on behalf of Canadian and American companies and cooperated with several American lawyers in a multitude of patent litigations relating to artificial turf systems and sports surfaces;
- Acted on behalf of Québec companies licensed by an American university in patent litigation involving next-generation lithium-ion battery technologies;
- Acted on behalf of a pharmaceutical company in a claim for damages following a fire in a world-class pharmaceutical laboratory.
- Barreau du Québec
- Canadian Bar Association
- Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Montreal
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- He is Governor Emeritus of the Fondation du Barreau du Québec
- He is a member-investigator of the Compensation Fund of the Barreau du Québec.
- He sat for two terms on BCF’s Board of Directors.
- He sat on the Executive Committee for North America of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and participated as a tutor during practical courses on international commercial arbitration with the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators;
- He was one of the directors of the Canadian Arbitration Congress;
- He was director and treasurer of the 2006 Congress organizing committee of the International Council on Commercial Arbitration (ICCA);
- He sat on the Executive Committee of Pointe-Claire Yacht Club and of Lakeshore Ski Club.