Maxime Savard is a member of our Québec City office's Labour and Employment Group. As part of his practice, Maxime advises clients on human rights, employment, legal and contractual obligations, labour relations and collective bargaining. Over the last few years, he has acquired expertise in employment restrictive covenants.
Maxime also works with our civil and commercial litigation team in some cases, including shareholder disputes and construction law. He is also involved in wage arbitration and grievance arbitration for the National Hockey League.
Maxime is known for his collaborative and creative approach. His many areas of expertise enable him to represent clients in complex cases and to plead on their behalf before administrative tribunals and civil courts, at both trial and appeal levels.
Maxime also contributes significantly to the visibility of his profession by writing articles that are relayed in respected forums. He is also involved in the firm's initiatives, as a member of the BCF Diversity and Inclusion Club working group, among other things. He has also completed training in Common Law at Western University in London, Ontario.
- LL.M., Université Laval (in progress)
- Barreau du Québec (2015)
- LL.B., Université Laval (2013)
“Quoi de neuf en matière de responsabilité pour perte de l’ouvrage?”, Chronique juridique, Corporation des entrepreneurs généraux du Québec
“Les clauses de non-concurrence à l’ère numérique : comment concilier la mobilité des employés et la protection des intérêts légitimes de l’employeur?”, in Barreau du Québec, Développements récents en droit de la non-concurrence, vol. 503, Montréal, Éditions Yvon Blais
“Employers, Are You Prepared to Get Your Team Back in the Office?”
“How Telecommuting Transforms the Application Of Non-Competition Clauses”
bcf.ca, February 2021
“COVID-19 and Construction: Impacts on your Legal Hypothecs, RBQ Licences and Surety Bonds”
In collaboration with Nicolas Gosselin and Sophie Boulanger, bcf.ca, April 2020
“Lemieux c. Aon Parizeau Inc.: La clause de non-sollicitation et la théorie de la perte de chance en droit québécois”
Proforma - Chronique SOQUIJ, Jeune Barreau de Québec (October 2018)
- Represented and advised on a number of cases involving the application of non-competition, non-solicitation and loyalty clauses, particularly for employers in the high-tech sector;
- Drafted several legal opinions on the validity of restrictive covenants;
- Worked on salary arbitration for National Hockey League (NHL) players. We represent approximately 17 NHL teams;
- Advised, defended, and asserted the rights of a bulk liquid storage company in a civil and commercial dispute involving the notion of force majeure and damages arising from the termination of a tank rental and product storage contract. The judgment handed down by the Superior Court was upheld by the Court of Appeal;
- Advised, defended and asserted the rights of an insurance firm and its shareholders in a dispute involving the concepts of tacit partnership, constructive dismissal, duty of loyalty and solicitation of clients;
- Legal counsel in a real estate dispute involving a retrocession clause in a deed of sale. The Superior Court judgment was upheld by the Court of Appeal;
- Representation and legal advice in human rights complaints;
- Acted on behalf of a group of architects and the Fonds d'assurance de la responsabilité professionnelle de l'Ordre des architectes du Québec in a multi-million-dollar lawsuit against general contractors and professionals responsible for the design and supervision of work on several buildings located in Northern Québec;
- Acted on behalf of a construction contractor, recognized in its field, in a claim for additional costs of several million dollars incurred during the execution of a marine construction project due to soil conditions different from those announced in the tender documents;
- Advise, defend, and assert the rights of the Provisional Administrator of the APCHQ's Abritat and New Home Warranty Plans.
“Les clauses de non-concurrence à l’ère numérique : comment concilier la mobilité des employés et la protection des intérêts légitimes de l’employeur?”, Développements récents en droit de la non-concurrence, Montréal.
- Member of the Quebec Young Bar Association
- Member of the Barreau de Québec
- Member of the Board of Directors of Collège de Champigny;
- Governor for the next generation of the Fondation du Barreau du Québec.