An experienced lawyer and a solid negotiator, Guy Plante represents business people, entrepreneurs and institutions in major transactions both in Canada and abroad. He has been involved in transactions in the United States, Mexico, Brazil, France, Germany and the United Kingdom.
Guy combines his excellent knowledge of corporate and commercial law with acknowledged accounting and management skills to offer clients specialized expertise in mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations and commercial agreement negotiations. He has also participated in many financings, either by prospectus, offering memorandums or private placements, particularly in the high-tech industry. Guy also practises in BCF’s Estate Planning and Trusts group, participating in estate planning, will drafting, and the establishment of trusts.
Guy completed an MBA at Université Laval (Quebec) and York University (Toronto), as well as a Master in Taxation from the Université de Sherbrooke. A skilled educator, he has been a speaker and lecturer on a number of occasions over the course of his career, most notably at the École du Barreau’s professional training program, Université Laval, Université du Québec and the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF). He also sat several years as a member of the Barreau du Québec committee on multi-disciplinary practice.
- M. Fisc., Université de Sherbrooke (1985)
- MBA, Laval and York Universities (1983)
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (Québec Bar) (1982)
- LL. B., Université Laval (1980)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert (2020) - Corporate Mid-Market
- Special advisor to Ocean Group for the purchase of Techsol Marine (marine electrotechnology), owned by the Netherlands based company RH Marine Group;
- Special advisor to Ocean Group with regards to a $112 million investment by Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and Fonds de solidarité (FTQ);
- Senior counsel to a processed wood company regarding the acquisition of the assets of an American company;
- Legal advisor to selling shareholders for the sale of a 70% interest in Amisco Industries Ltd. and Groupe Gibo inc. (residential furniture manufacturers) to Capital régional et coopératif Desjardins and Investissement Québec;
- Senior counsel of an insurance company regarding the sale of one of its divisions to a Canadian company;
- Legal counsel to InnovMetric Software Inc. in the purchase of the assets of Prefixia Vision Systems SA de CV, a computer software design company located in Queretaro, Mexico (January 2018);
- Senior counsel of an important financial group regarding the sale of its private banking services in favour of a Canadian chartered bank;
- Legal advisor to Nordic Kraft for the purchase of the assets of a power plant located in Lebel-sur-Quévillon, and a 17.5 MW electricity generation agreement;
- Special counsel of an American company with respect to the acquisition of a Canadian manufacturing group operating in several Canadian cities;
- Legal advisor to Bois KMS and Northern Pressure Treated Wood regarding the sale of almost all of their plants related to the manufacturing of treated wood utility poles located in Québec, Ontario, British Columbia and in the U.S.
- Legal advisor to the selling shareholders in the sale to the Fonds de Solidarité (FTQ) and Investissement Québec of a 60% stake in Plastique Micron Inc. (a manufacturing company with plants in St. Claire, Montreal and Orangeville, Ontario);
- Legal counsel to the selling shareholders for the sale of 100% of the shares of Groupe Promax inc. (a mosquito screen manufacturing company) to Screenco Ltd;
- Legal advisor Nordic Kraft for the purchase of the assets of a kraft pulp mill (forestry industry) located in Lebel-sur-Quévillon owned by Nexolia;
- Senior counsel of a NASDAQ-listed company regarding the acquisition of a U.S. pharmaceutical company;
- Senior counsel for many transactions involving the sale or purchase of business assets or businesses in the pharmaceutical and medical industries, particularly the sale of pharmacies;
- Senior counsel of a brokerage firm regarding the sale of its activities to a financial institution;
- Senior counsel of the Federal Government with respect to the awarding of contracts to a non-profit organization regarding the training of fighter pilots from various countries that are members of NATO, and the sale and renting out of related infrastructures;
- Counsel to the Federal Government regarding the issuance of bonds aimed at financing the acquisition costs and upkeep of fighter aircrafts;
- Senior counsel of a public company in the telephone industry with respect to the merger that led to its privatisation;
- Senior counsel of an investment fund with respect to its various acquisitions;
- Senior counsel with respect to the sale of properties to investment funds and institutional investors;
- Counsel to various investment funds regarding the taking of participation by way of debenture bonds and private placements;
- Senior counsel to a manufacturing company listed on the Toronto Exchange regarding the transactions having led to its privatisation.
- A speaker and lecturer at different times during his practice, Guy taught business law for several years at the École du Barreau’s professional training of advocates program, specifically teaching the acquisition and sale of corporations course;
- He has given courses and been a speaker at Université Laval, Université du Québec and l’Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF);
- He sat for many years as a member of the Barreau du Québec committee on multi-disciplinary practice.