Gino Martel is a senior partner in the Business Law group, specializing in domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, venture capital and private equity investments, and strategic tax transactions and reorganizations.
He offers over 35 years of extensive experience providing legal counsel to significant Canadian and international clients on complex transactions. Gino regularly acts for purchasers, sellers, controlling shareholders and special committees on public and private M&A transactions including joint ventures, alliances with strategic partners and strategic investments. He is recognized for his broad skill set and experience steering transformative transactions in varied industries.
Gino is sought after for his dedication to finding solutions to complex issues, for his committment to offering clients with the best tailored expertise and for providing his clients with proactive, precise and practical advice to meet their business needs. With his strong communication skills and his deep rooted relationships in Canada and abroad, Gino has a keen grasp of the national market, as well as insight into U.S. and international M&A activity.
Gino’s exemplary diligence and efficiency have been consistently recognized by clients and peers in publications such as Best Lawyers, Canadian Legal Lexpert, LMG Life Sciences and Who’s Who Legal.
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1986)
- LL.L., University of Ottawa (1985)
- LL.B., University of Ottawa (1984)
- B.Comm., Concordia University (1981)
- Who's Who Legal (2019-2022) - Life Sciences (Global Leader and National Leader)
- Best Lawyers (2022-2023) - Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert: Special edition (2021-2022) - Technology and Health Sciences; Finance and Mergers and Acquisitions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert (2018-2022) - Corporate Commercial Law; Biotechnology; Corporate Mid-Market; Mergers and Acquisitions; Life Sciences and Healthcare
- CTI Life Sciences Fund III L.P., 3B Future Health Fund and Panacea Venture Health Care Fund II, L.P., as lead investors, in connection with (a) the €39M cross-border, multi-tranche, Series A preferred share financing round of Domain Therapeutics S.A., a Paris-based biopharmaceutical company specializing in the research and development of innovative immuno-oncology drugs, and (b) the creation and financing of a Canadian operating subsidiary.
- Baylis Medical Company Inc. and its shareholders in connection with the sale of the company’s cardiology activities to Boston Scientific Corporation for USD$1.75 billion and carve-out of its DMS business.
- DMDConnects Services Inc. in the sale of its direct and indirect interests in, and assets used in connection with the operation of, DMD Marketing Corp., a healthcare identity provider dedicated to connecting marketers to key healthcare audiences, to IQVIA Inc. (NYSE:IQVIA).
- Hypertec, a global provider of end-to-end technologies, in connection with (a) the sale of its data center and colocation services operations to Vantage Data Centers, one of the world's leading hyperscale data center providers for a combination of an upfront price and complex earnout arrangement, (b) the acquisition of cloud.ca Inc., and (c) the acquisition of control of Hypertec and venture capital financing by F.I.T. Ventures.
- Groupe Nexio Inc. in connection with its acquisition by NovaCap.
- Corbec Group in connection with the acquisition of a hot dip galvanizing plant in Nova Scotia.
- Canassurance Financial Corporation, a not-for-profit health insurance provider operating in Ontario and Quebec, in connection with the sale of its underwriting, marketing and administration of individual life, long-term disability, long-term care, and critical illness insurance business to Blue Cross Life Insurance Company of Canada.
- HIM Holdings LP and its related funds in connection with the sale of the student residence complex situated at 420 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, Quebec to ECV Montreal LP.
- Merck Canada Inc. in connection with the Canadian aspects of the spin-off of Merck & Co.’s women’s health, legacy products and biosimilars business, which created the new company named Organon & Co. and various subsidiaries in Canada and throughout the world.
- Corbec Group in connection with the conclusion of a joint venture for the construction and operation of a hot dip galvanizing plant in the Toronto Metropolitan.
- Biodextris Inc., as co-licensor with The Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Inc., in the negotiation of a global development and commercialization agreement with I-Mab Biopharma US Limited and Jiangsu Nhwa Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. in relation to innovative products and processes for the treatment of neurological diseases in humans.
- Baylis Medical Company in its venture arm preferred share investment in Epineuron Technologies Inc. and in its subsequent common share financing and acquisition of control of Epineuron, a bioelectronic medical company that provides therapy to support patients with peripheral nerve regeneration.
- Klox Technologies Inc. in connection with the establishment of a joint venture company in Ireland with LEO Pharma A/S.
- sanofi-aventis Canada Inc. in connection with a swap of assets with Johnson & Johnson.
- CTI Life Sciences Fund as lead investor in connection with (a) the formation and Series A multi-tranche financing with adMare BioInnovations and Domain Therapeutics of Find Therapeutics Inc. and its acquisition of the assets of Peptimimesis S.A., (b) the US$6M Series A-3 preferred share seed financing in Phenomic AI Inc., a Toronto-based company which leverages a computer vision and high content screening platform to develop therapeutic antibodies against cancer and fibrosis, (c) three separate multi-tranche private placements of $3.2M, $2.5M and $2M principal amount secured convertible debentures of Zymeworks Inc. of Vancouver, the conversion of such debentures into equity, the subsequent rounds of preferred share financings and the initial public offering of Zymeworks Inc., (d) the $10M Series A multi tranche financing of Xagenic Canada Inc. and in the subsequent $20M Series B and $15M Series B-1 multi-tranche financings and convertible debt financing of Xagenic Canada Inc. of Toronto, (e) the series C preferred share financing of Phemi Systems Corporation, (f) the $100M Series B preferred share financing of DalCor Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. and DalCor Pharma UK Ltd., (g) the cross-border, tracking share financing of NeurAxon Inc., and (h) the US$9.5M series C multi-tranche financing of CellAegis Devices Inc., a Toronto based medical device company.
- Skyfold Investments Ltd. and its shareholders in connection with the sale of the company to dormakaba for $109 million.
- Hydro-Québec Production in connection with the acquisition of a 60% interest in the hydroelectric facility located on the Manicouagan River in Quebec from Abitibi-Consolidated Company of Canada, a subsidiary of AbitibiBowater Inc. ($615M).
- Enobia Pharma Corp in connection with the negotiation and execution of a Merger Agreement with Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. whereby Enobia was acquired by Alexion for US$1.08B, and in connection with its previous $40.1M Series B financing, US$50M series C financing, US$45M Series C extension financing, US$40M common stock financing and US$20M secured debt financing - Winner of LMG Life Sciences 2013 Award - Canadian Impact Deals of the Year.
- Milgram & Company Ltd. and its shareholders in connection with the sale of the company to C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc. for a purchase price of approximately $62 million.
- The owners of 3 senior residence facilities located in Moncton, New Brunswick in connection with the sale thereof to Moncton Retirement Limited Partnership, indirectly controlled by Hillcore Real Estate Investments Ltd.
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals on its US$3.2B merger with Biovail, Canada’s largest publicly traded pharmaceutical company, and on its subsequent $1.5B, $1B and $650M cross-border private placements and on senior secured credit facilities. Also advised on Valeant’s acquisitions, through its Canadian subsidiary, of Dr. Renaud Inc and Renaud Skin Care Products Inc, worth $23M, and of Vital Science, Derma Glow and All Healthy Skin, worth $10.5M.
- Canadian counsel to TerSera Therapeutics LLC in connection with (a) the purchase of the commercial rights to Zoladex® in the United States and Canada from AstraZeneca UK Limited for USD$250M plus certain milestone and royalty fees and (b) the concurrent first lien and second lien financing thereof.
- Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton & Co. L.L.P. in connection with the sale of its real estate consultancy services business in the Province of Quebec to Jones Lang Lasalle Real Estate Services, Inc.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Quebec Bar Association
- Association for Corporate Growth Toronto
- bioMérieux Canada, Inc., secretary and board member;
- Loyola Foundation, past board member;
- Loyola Alumni Association, past president and board member.