A founding member of BCF’s Quebec City office, François Lefebvre has successfully assisted many Quebec companies through every stage of their growth, and has been an advisor to several major financial institutions. His proven expertise in commercial and banking law has enabled him to advise clients in a variety of sectors, from technology to digital commerce, including restaurant, real estate, manufacturing, industrial and banking.
Over the years, François has participated in the negotiation and drafting of a variety of commercial agreements: acquisition or sale of businesses, shareholders or partner agreements, distribution agreements, commercial leases, service agreements, etc. He has developed specific expertise in business succession, as well as in implementing employee profit-sharing plans, such as stock option plans. In the banking sector, he regularly works on traditional or subordinated financing transactions.
François is an excellent educator, and often gives conferences to entrepreneurs and business stakeholders, including the École d'Entrepreneurship de Beauce, the business transfer centre in Quebec and other economic development organizations. He has also been involved with Entrepreneuriat Laval for nearly 25 years, first as a trainer and then as a director.
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1994)
- LL.B. Université de Sherbrooke (1993)
- Counsel for sellers in the sale of a controlling interest of a technology company to Chinese interests;
- Counsel for sellers in the sale of a controlling interest of a manufacturing company to American interests;
- Counsel for a technology company in multiple equity financing matters involving more than 7 venture capital companies from Quebec and other provinces;
- Counsel for key employees in the management buy-out of a technology company majority owned by Canadian investment funds;
- Counsel for three institutional lenders on loans subordinated to a manufacturing company, involving the establishment of security interests in Québec and abroad.
- For more than 15 years, François has been a trainer and speaker for Entrepreneuriat Laval (a business incubator at Université Laval) on various topics regarding business start-ups (particularly the legal vehicles for a business, shareholder agreements and contracts). He also regularly gives conferences on business succession in a family context or a management buy-out. Finally, François has been a trainer for many years for Centre de formation et de création d’entreprises for the Capitale-nationale School Board.
- François sits on the board of Entrepreneuriat Laval. François is a jury member for a number of competitions, including the Quebec entrepreneurship competition;
- François represents the firm at the Centre de transfert d’entreprises de la Capitale-Nationale (CTE), an organization devoted to sensitizing entrepreneurs to the idea of business succession. In addition to sitting on CTE’s Round Table and the Marketing Committee, he regularly acts as spokesperson;
- Finally, François has been a director of Productions Les Gros Becs, a major youth and children’s theatre production company, for more than 10 years. He has also served as corporate secretary of a venture capital investment fund.