Founding Partner, Lawyer
Founding Partner of BCF LLP, Mario Charpentier co-heads our Corporate Finance sector. Mario was Managing Partner of BCF for 25 years, from the foundation of the firm in 1995 until November 2019. As a tax practitioner, he advises clients from every industry on the legal and business strategies to adopt to best grow their business. Mario draws upon a well of legal expertise and a vast network of personal and business relationships to address our clients’ challenges and provides tailored solutions.
A great visionary, Mario is proud to have built, together with his colleagues, one of Quebec’s largest business law firms, a recognised leader in legal matters in the field of technology. His involvement in the startup community has led him to co-head BCF Imagine, a program for innovative entrepreneurs starting their business and to sit as Chairman of BCF Ventures’ Board, a seed investment fund for high-growth technology companies. Mario has a keen understanding and clear vision of the obstacles facing enterprises, from startups, to SMEs and innovative mid-market companies to global corporations that choose Quebec as a stepping stone for their growth in America.
Mario applies the same rigour and accords the same respect to our employees as he does to our clients: no problem is too small to be ignored - his door is always open - and no challenge is too large to be overcome. He is actively engaged in the community and dedicated to changing the face of law, one action at a time. Under his management, BCF has introduced a variety of pro bono initiatives and implemented diversity and inclusion programs aimed at promoting women, cultural, and gender minorities to positions of leadership and governance throughout the organisation and the larger business community.
Mario has been named Notable Practitioner in Corporate and Commercial Law by the prestigious Chambers and Partners Québec ranking and in 2020 he was selected in the Best Lawyers directory in Mergers and Acquisitions Law. Since 2017, he has also been recognized in commercial law and in the mid-market sector in the Canadian Legal Lexpert ranking.
- Certification universitaire en gouvernance de sociétés, Collège des administrateurs de sociétés (2009)
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1986)
- LL.B., Université de Sherbrooke (1985)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert: Special edition (2021) - Technology
- Best Lawyers (2020-2021) - Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert (2017-2020) - Corporate Mid-Market; Corporate Commercial Law; Mergers and Acquisitions
- Chambers and Partners Québec (2018) - Notable practitioner in corporate and commercial law
"Les Risques d’obtenir… du capital de risque,"
Congrès de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 1999
"Étude de cas A : Premier appel public à l’épargne,"
Congrès de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 1998
"Opérations préalables au premier appel public à l’épargne,"
Congrès de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 1997
"Restrictions des pertes en capital lors d’un rachat d’actions,"
Colloque de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, December 1996
"Étude de cas B : Impact des modifications apportées au paragraphe 112(3) L.I.R. sur les conventions entre actionnaires,"
Congrès de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 1996
"Réforme du Code civil en matière de droit des sociétés et des personnes morales,"
Congrès annuel du Barreau du Québec, Service de la formation permanente du Barreau du Québec, Montreal, 1995
September 27, 2007
"Comment acheter une PME," Conference organized by HEC Montréal, Desjardins Group and Acquizitions.biz in collaboration with several business partners – speaker and member of the conference guide drafting team
November 27, 2002
"Vendre l’entreprise aux employés," Conference on the financial and fiscal aspects of human resources/Human resources in the time of the information technology revolution
- Managing Partner of BCF LLP from 1995 to November 2019;
- Former officer of the Human Technology Canadian Institute;
- Former officer of the Institut des troubles de l’apprentissage (since January 2017);
- Life officer of the Fondation du Barreau du Québec;
- Former officer of the Knowlton Golf Club;
- Former officer of BIOQuébec;
- Former officer of the Fondation du Centre hospitalier universitaire de Montréal (CHUM);
- Former officer of the Association de planification fiscale et financière du Québec;
- Former officer of the Orchestre symphonique de Montréal;
- Former officer of Export Development Canada (EDC).