Managing Partner, Lawyer, Member of the Executive Committee
Mario Charpentier is a co-founder and the Managing Partner of BCF LLP. A tax practioner who believed law could and should be practised differently, Mario co-founded what is now one of Quebec’s largest business law firms and a recognised leader in legal matters in the field of technology.
Mario advises clients from every industry on the legal and business strategies to adopt to best grow their business. He draws upon a well of legal expertise and a vast network of personal and business relationships to address our clients’ challenges and provide tailored solutions. A great visionary, Mario is proud to have built, together with his colleagues, a law firm at the forefront of the legal community. His leadership has positioned BCF as a leading law firm in entrepreneurship and innovation. Under his direction, BCF has implemented two programs, BCF Imagine and BCF Ventures, dedicated respectively to: assisting entrepreneurs with innovative ideas to start their first business; and to guiding them through the first rounds of financing, notably by venture capital firms. Mario has a keen understanding and clear vision of the obstacles facing enterprises, from startups, to SMEs, to global firms.
Mario applies the same rigour and accords the same respect to our employees as he does to our clients: no problem is too small to be ignored - his door is always open - and no challenge is too large to be overcome. He is actively engaged in the community and dedicated to changing the face of law, one action at a time. Under his management, BCF has introduced a variety of pro bono initiatives and implemented diversity and inclusion programs aimed at promoting women, cultural, and gender minorities to positions of leadership and governance throughout the organisation and the larger business community.
- Certification universitaire en gouvernance de sociétés, Collège des administrateurs de sociétés (2009)
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1986)
- LL.B., Université de Sherbrooke (1985)
- Chambers and Partners Québec (2018) - Notable practitioner in corporate and commercial law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert (2017-2018) - Corporate Commercial Law and Technology Transactions
"Les Risques d’obtenir… du capital de risque,"
Congrès de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 1999
"Étude de cas A : Premier appel public à l’épargne,"
Congrès de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 1998
"Opérations préalables au premier appel public à l’épargne,"
Congrès de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 1997
"Restrictions des pertes en capital lors d’un rachat d’actions,"
Colloque de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, December 1996
"Étude de cas B : Impact des modifications apportées au paragraphe 112(3) L.I.R. sur les conventions entre actionnaires,"
Congrès de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 1996
"Réforme du Code civil en matière de droit des sociétés et des personnes morales,"
Congrès annuel du Barreau du Québec, Service de la formation permanente du Barreau du Québec, Montreal, 1995
September 27, 2007
"Comment acheter une PME," Conference organized by HEC Montréal, Desjardins Group and Acquizitions.biz in collaboration with several business partners – speaker and member of the conference guide drafting team
November 27, 2002
"Vendre l’entreprise aux employés," Conference on the financial and fiscal aspects of human resources/Human resources in the time of the information technology revolution
- Former officer of the Institut des troubles de l’apprentissage (since January 2017);
- Life officer of the Fondation du Barreau du Québec;
- Former officer of the Knowlton Golf Club;
- Former officer of BIOQuébec;
- Former officer of the Fondation du Centre hospitalier universitaire de Montréal (CHUM);
- Former officer of the Association de planification fiscale et financière du Québec;
- Former officer of the Orchestre symphonique de Montréal;
- Former officer of Export Development Canada (EDC).