Karen Aguilar is a lawyer in business, commercial and corporate law in our Montreal office.
Her practice is mainly focused on corporate transactions and matters, including mergers and acquisitions, restructuring, corporate financing, private placements and securities. Karen’s work involves drafting and negotiating various commercial contracts and insuring compliance with the applicable laws and regulations. With considerable experience handling transactional matters, she also co-ordinates commercial due diligence teams and takes part in conducting environmental due diligence and drafting complex reports. She is also able to advise clients on such matters.
Karen also acts on behalf of clients in filing access to information requests with the appropriate authorities and preparing various documents required under environmental legislation.
She acts for Canadian, American and European clients from several industries, including the technology sector as well as for various institutional venture capital investment firms and private equity funds in Canada. Her knowledge of civil law and common law allows her to provide legal advice on an international basis.
Since 2009, Karen has supervised the activities related to University of Montréal’s participation at the Charles Rousseau international law moot court competition in international law and was a lecturer for this course from 2013 to 2015.
During her studies, Karen spent a semester studying law at the Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas.
Karen practises law in English and French and also speaks and writes fluently in Spanish.
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (2012);
- JD, University of Montréal (2010);
- LL.L., University of Ottawa, Cum Laude, Dean’s list (2009);
- BA Social Sciences with a specialization in International Development and Globalization, University of Ottawa, Magna Cum Laude, Dean’s list (2009)
Finance et investissement, February 1, 2014
Finance et investissement, January 15, 2014
Finance et investissement, December 1, 2013
Finance et investissement, November 1, 2013
- Acted on behalf of PayFacto Payments Inc. in the equity investment of up to C$150 million led by private equity firm Flexpoint Ford with participation from BMO Capital Partners;
- Acted on behalf of Roxboro BauVal Group Inc., a leader in the construction and civil engineering industry in Quebec, in its merger with Panzini Demolition Inc. and M.E. Tremblay Demolition Inc;
- Counsel in Canada to private equity firm Pfingsten Partners, L.L.C. in the acquisition by its portfolio company Burton Saw and Supply Holdings of the assets of Cut Technologies;
- Counsel to G&K Services Inc., a North American leader in uniform rental and facility products, in its acquisition of assets of Saniloc Inc., a uniform rental business based in Drummondville, Québec;
- Counsel to SPP Canada Aircraft, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sumitomo Precision Products, in its acquisition of Tecnickrome Aeronautique, Inc., a Quebec-based company in the aerospace industry;
- Counsel to Biomod Concepts Inc., a company that transforms flexible materials into applicators, perfume diffusers or medical devices applied to the skin, in the sale of a control position to a Québec-based company;
- Counsel to Tandem Expansion in its acquisition of control of Averna Technologies, a global leader in the development of test solutions for electronic device manufacturers and communications around the world;
- Counsel to the Canadian subsidiary of an international vehicle manufacturer in the sale of a Montreal heavy truck dealership in a transaction valued at approximately $18.5 million;
- Counsel to Investissement Québec and Desjardins Capital de risque in the sale of Vision Globale A.R. Ltd. To TVA Group Inc., a subsidiary of Québec Media Inc. a television and film post production company for $118 million in cash;
- Counsel to Investissement Québec, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, Fondaction and Fonds de solidarité des travailleurs du Québec (F.T.Q.) as limited partners in their investment of an aggregate amount of $185 million in Novacap Industries IV, L.P.;
- Counsel to Simon Equity Partners in the purchase of a majority interest in Coalision Inc. from Kilmer Capital Partners with other financial investors including Pelican LP, a group comprising André Desmarais, certain members of the Hermès family, and the Fonds de solidarité FTQ;
- Counsel to Pediapharm Inc. in its qualifying transaction on the TSXV including its amalgamation with Chelsea Acquisition Corporation and related private placements of subscription receipts and common shares for gross proceeds to Pediapharm of approximately $8 million;
- Counsel to Investissement Québec Inc., Fiers Partenaires, s.e.c., Teralys Capital Fund of Funds, L.P., Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and Fondaction, le Fonds de développement de la Confédération des syndicats nationaux pour la coopération et l’emploi as limited partners in their investment of an aggregate amount of $140 million in Novacap;
- Counsel to Fiers Partenaires, s.e.c., Teralys Capital Fund of Funds, L.P., and BDC Capital Inc. as limited partners in their investment of an aggregate amount of $50 million in Réal Investment Fund;
- Counsel to Investissement Québec as limited partner in its investment in Persistence Capital Partners II, L.P.;
- Counsel to Fondaction CSN as limited partner in its investment in Lumira Capital II;
- Canadian counsel to private equity firm Oaktree Capital Management L.P. in its cross-border acquisition of all the shares of Zodiac MILPRO (Military and Professional) Group;
- Counsel to Capital régional et coopératif Desjardins and Investissement Québec in the financing of Vision Globale in the context of the acquisition of Studios Mel’s and Locations Michel Trudel, a film and TV industry leader, and Les Génératrices Star (1997);
- Counsel to Metanor Resources Inc. in a private placement of $10 million of convertible debentures;
- Counsel to Metanor Resources Inc. in a $7 million loan agreement with Investissement Québec.
- Canadian Bar Association;
- Young Bar Association of Montréal. Banking, Finance and Transactional