Partner, Lawyer, Patent Agent
Leader of BCF's Intellectual Property group, Jonathan Cutler has used his diverse experience, leadership, sharp business sense and great versatility to build one of the most renowned intellectual property team in Canada. A member of the Massachusetts, Québec and New York Bars, a patent attorney in the United States as well as a patent and trademark agent in Canada, he expertly helps companies implement international intellectual property strategies.
Before joining the firm, Jonathan was the Director of Intellectual Property at Bombardier Produits Récréatifs. He is therefore very familiar with the realities facing innovative companies that want to protect their inventions abroad. He himself has prepared and submitted patent applications around the world, particularly in the United States and Europe, in addition to conducting several patent negotiations among suppliers, competitors and third parties.
Jonathan sits on BCF's Board of Director, and on the Governance committee. With a background in chemical engineering, he has extensive experience in patent protection and infringement, particularly in matters related to the design, development and manufacture of products to be distributed simultaneously in several territories. In this regard, he has participated in preparing many opinions on patent infringement and validity in the United States as well as litigation concerning a good number of American patents.
- Canadian Patent Agent (1998)
- United States Patent Agent (1997)
- Called to the New York Bar (1997)
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1996)
- Called to the Massachusetts (1995)
- McGill University, B.C.L./LL.B. (with Distinction)
- McGill University, B.Eng. (Chemical Engineering/Biotechnology)
- Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Patent & Trademark Office (Patent Attorney)
- Canadian Intellectual Property Office (Patent Agent & Trademark Agent)