Dominique Babin has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, transactional matters and compliance, particularly in the life sciences and innovative manufacturing industries. She also advises several companies in the information technology field. She has developed cutting-edge expertise in international trade and intellectual property management.
A specialist in partnerships and export of goods and services, her versatility helps her adapt to several situations to ensure our clients are successful in their operations. She is responsive to the needs of our clients, creative, efficient and thorough. She excels at finding practical solutions that she expresses in clear legal terms. She promotes a collaborative and constructive approach, while keeping our clients’ objectives in mind.
In addition to her law firm experience, Dominique has held a senior position with a US defence company, where she oversaw a number of major international transactions. Dominique holds a Master's degree in comparative law with a focus on intellectual property and international trade from McGill University. She is a regular speaker on cross-border transactions issues and is also a mediator certified by the Barreau du Québec in commercial matters. She sits on the firm's Succession Planning Committee, on the board of the École des entrepreneurs du Québec and of the Fondation de l’Externat Mont-Jésus-Marie.
- LL.M. (Comparative Law), McGill University (2000)
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1998)
- LL.B., Université Laval (1996
Changes to ITAR: A Shift Away from the “Place of Birth”
Standard article published in the American Bar Association's 2012 The International Lawyer (TIL).
The Canadian Pharmaceutical Patent Regime in the World Trading System
Master Thesis, 200, McGill University, with honors
- Represent U.S. and Canadian life sciences companies in the drafting and negotiation of strategic collaboration, research and services agreements;
- Represent a US manufacturer of teller machines (ATMs) in the drafting, negotiation and implementation of strategic supply agreements with Canadian financial institutions;
- Represent and advise large pharmaceutical companies in the drafting, negotiation and implementation of various commercial agreements in Canada and on compliance matters;
- Advise innovative manufacturers in ensuring compliance with export controls and economic sanctions;
- Represent Hewitt in connection with the acquisition of Bucyrus’ Caterpillar distribution business in Canada;
- Represent Watch4Net in connection with the sale of its shares to EMC2;
- Negotiate a Joint Venture with a Chinese partner for a specialized manufacturer;
- Represent Sanofi Canada in a complex commercial transaction with Johnson & Johnson for the purchase and sale of lines of products and related assets;
- Represent the World Federation of Hemophilia on various commercial, corporate and compliance matters;
- Represent CFR Pharma (Chile) in the subscription of shares of Uman Pharma;
- Represent Telesystem and other shareholders for the sale of Plexo inc. (network of private medical clinics).
Presentation at the Forum on U.S. Export & Re-Export Compliance for Canadian Operations
Presentations on export controls to various institutional investors
Panellist American Bar Association, Section of International Law – Managing Cross Cultural Fires between Asian and Western Cultures
Presentation on the Access to Information Act to managers in the pharmaceutical industry
Presentation on intellectual property instruments and commercial exploitation agreements at the Université de Sherbrooke
Export compliances, Centre de recherche industrielle du Québec (CRIQ)
Panellist American Bar Association, Section of International Law - Global Trade in Counterfeit Parts – Issues and Solutions
May 30th 2013
Presentation on the United Nation's Convention on international commodity sales, Barreau du Québec Convention, in collaboration with the American Bar Association, Montreal
Contracting with Québec Companies, Sommet Chaîne Mondiale d’approvisionnement dans l’aérospatiale
Contrôles à l’exportation et projets d’infrastructure en TI, Association des Conseillers juridiques d'entreprise
Canadian and U.S. Export Controls: U.S. Aerospace Trade Mission, Arizona, Connecticut and Virginia
Canadian and U.S. Export Controls: What you Need to Know, in collaboration with Thomas Jones (Canadian Export Consulting Services), U.S. Aerospace Supplier Mission to Canada
Transactions commerciales et technologies: une vérification diligente pragmatique, in collaboration avec Alexandre Baril (Deloitte), Francis Gingras (Telus) and François Lajeunesse (Bell), Heenan Blaikie's Information Technology group's luncheon seminar series
Technology IP Due Diligence: Examining and Drafting Licenses to Effectuate Business Objectives, American Conference Institute
Les licences informatiques : Marchés Canada/État-Unis, Chaire L.R. Wilson sur le droit des technologies de l'information et du commerce électronique
- École des entrepreneurs du Québec – Board of directors and president of the Governance Committee;
- Fondation des amis et anciens de l’Externat Mont-Jésus-Marie – Board of directors;
- American Bar Association – Organising Committee of the Montreal annual conference in 2015.