A fine strategist, Bertrand Giroux is known for his technical efficiency and his tremendous talent as a jurist. he is one of the founding members of BCF. With a career spanning more than thirty years, he specialises in insolvency and commercial litigation, and is recognized by his peers for his intelligence, diplomacy and dexterity when tackling complicated matters or in high pressure situations.
Bertrand co-leads BCF’s Restructuring and Insolvency group. He advises companies on major operational restructurings. Bertrand recently successfully completed the restructuring of Groupe Hexagone. He works and has worked on other important cases, including Groupe Les Ailes de la Mode and Dans un Jardin. He also has extensive experience in privacy protection, defamation and unfair competition matters, crisis management and commercial litigation mandates in general. He acted as amicus curiae before the Superior Court in the liquidation of the Norbourg and of the Évolution mutual funds.
Bertrand is a member of the National Creditor/Debtor Review, a Butterworks publication in the bankruptcy and insolvency fields. For three years, he was a member of the Barreau du Québec’s Liaison Committee with the Superior Court (Commercial Division).
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1986)
- LL.B. Université de Sherbrooke (1985)
- Lead Counsel of Citox Lab, a French company, for the acquisition of the assets of Lab Research, under the receivership of assets of the latter;
- Lead Counsel of the Icelandic banks Glitnir and Landsbanki concerning Canadian proceedings under Part XIII of the BIA (cross-border insolvencies);
- Lead counsel to a group of aircraft owners in the bankruptcy of Inter-Canadian;
- Lead counsel to the board of directors of Groupe Les Ailes de la Mode Inc. with respect to its restructuring under the Companies Creditors Arrangement Act ("CCAA");
- Lead counsel to a group of investors with respect to a private placement with Groupe Les Ailes de la Mode Inc. during its CCAA process;
- Lead counsel to Groupe Bikini Village Inc. with respect to its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Lead counsel to Avance Pharma with respect to its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Appointed special counsel to the Superior Court (amicus curiae) with respect to the liquidation of Norbourg and Evolution Funds;
- Lead counsel to a major corporate retail group in the area of women’s lingerie with respect to its restructuring under the CCAA and the transfer of its commercial activities to other Canadian interests;
- Lead counsel to the interim receiver appointed with respect to Technologies LTrim Inc.;
- Lead counsel to the interim receiver appointed with respect to Solutions Mindready Inc. as well as its Canadian and American subsidiaries.
- Lead counsel with respect to the acquisition of the assets of Position Technologies Inc. during its CCAA process;
- Counsel to important creditors of SR Telecom Inc. with respect to the latter's restructuring under the CCAA;
- Lead counsel to Groupe Triton Inc. and its subsidiaries in Quebec and Ontario with respect to its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Lead counsel to Blue Note Mining Inc., a public company, with respect to its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Lead counsel to a group of secured creditors of Resources MSV and Resources Campbell with respect to their receivership;
- Expert witness in matters of Canadian bankruptcy and insolvency with respect to a US litigation;
- Expert witness on insolvency legislation in Canada in a case involving both Canadian and American entities in the U.S.;
- Lead counsel for Groupe Hexagone as part of its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Lead counsel for Dans un Jardin as part of its tendering process and the closure of some of its stores.
- Mr. Giroux has been a member of the Liaison Committee with the Superior Court (Commercial Division) for three years. He is also a member of the Reading Committee of the National Creditor Debtor Review, a Butterworks publication in the bankruptcy and insolvency fields.