Called to the Ontario Bar (1988)
Called to the New York Bar (1987)
Called to the Barreau du Québec (1987)
B.C.L., McGill University (1986)
LL.B., McGill University (1986)
B.B.A., École des Hautes Études Commerciales (Montreal) (1982)
French version is available here.
Richard Epstein’s practice is concentrated in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other business relations, corporate finance and general commercial transactions. He has a broad range of experience acquired, to a great extent, in cross-border business dealings and has represented clients in transactions around the world. His expertise includes competition / antitrust law and foreign investment matters.
Richard regularly represents businesses located in the U.S., Europe and Asia in their ventures in Canada and local clients in their transactions abroad.
He has particular experience in international joint ventures and complex business, engineering and construction projects. His industry experience is wide-ranging and includes emerging technologies, forestry products, services, food and manufactured goods. Richard combines project management skills with strong business acumen and a practical approach to managing major projects. He develops creative solutions and is a trusted advisor.
Since its inception, Richard has been at the center of the project for the return of a Major League Baseball team to Montreal. This is a complex legacy project bringing together stakeholders from the business community, different levels of government and the sports and entertainment industry. Read more: Magazine Entreprendre, Dossier : La venue du Baseball Majeur à Montréal, 2016 (in French only).
Richard is co-leader of the Mergers and Acquisitions strategic team at BCF. He is also a member of the firm’s Board of Directors and he chairs the Audit Committee.
- Member of the American Bar Association
- "Doing Deals in Quebec", NECBC-AMCHAM Forging New England – Quebec Alliance, Boston, March 25, 2015.
- "Antitrust and Foreign Investment Risk", Annual Seminar for Lawyers Specializing in Securities Law, October 18, 2012.
- "Shareholders’ Agreements", RSM Richter Chamberland, June 13, 2012.
- "Trade associations and issues under the Competition Act", Association des Bannières et des Chaînes de Pharmacies du Québec (ABCPQ), February 1, 2012
- "Earnout provisions in purchase and sale agreements", (with Marc-André Bélanger), Montreal chapter of Financial Executives International, May 26, 2011.
- "Important Recent Developments in Business Law", Ernst and Young, March 31, 2011.
- "Competition Law Compliance", to the sales representatives of a multinational corporation, January 12, 2011
- "Successfully Negotiating Business – Winning Strategies for Corporate Counsel"
- "Purchase and Sale Agreements"
- "An Overview of International Corporate Transactions"
- "Legal Aspects of Carrying on Business in the U.S.A."
- "International Sale of Goods and Distribution Agreements"
- "Overview of the Competition Act"
- "Doing Business Abroad"
"Mergers & Acquisitions: Acquiring a Business in Canada", March 2015
"Negotiated Mergers and Acquisitions", LEXPERT Magazine
"An Overview of the United Nations Convention on contracts for the International Sale of Goods (The Vienna Convention)
"Amendments to the Pre-Merger Notification Process" (collaboration), Competition Law Section conference paper, Canadian Bar Association
"Comparative Analysis of Legal Frameworks Pertaining to Exchange of Information and Mutual Assistance between Canada and U.S. Authorities" (collaboration), Competition Bureau (Canada)