- Certification universitaire en gouvernance de sociétés, Collège des administrateurs de sociétés (2009)
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1986)
- LL.B., Université de Sherbrooke (1985)
French version is available here.
Mario Charpentier is one of the six founders of BCF, today numbering more than 180 professionals in Quebec. He is the Managing Partner and one of four members of the firm's Executive Committee. He is co-leader of the Business and Technology, Venture Capital and Life Sciences strategic teams and a member of several other of the firm's strategic teams.
Mr. Charpentier represents several medium and large public and private companies whose head offices are in Quebec. His extensive experience, mainly in high-growth start-ups in the areas of high-tech and life sciences, has made him a sought-after professional in the field. He has also represented various research centres and Quebec universities, as well as private venture capital funds.
Mr. Charpentier has over 25 years of experience in corporate taxation related to areas of mergers and acquisitions, financing and tax and financial planning. He also assists corporations looking to go public, as well as those seeking to acquire a business or develop partnerships.
While since the beginning of his practice he devoted his expertise to young businesses in the new economy, Mr. Charpentier has long represented medium to large-sized family businesses. His expertise in this area is considerable, particularly when it comes to transfers of family businesses between generations, as well as employee incentive plans and management buy-outs.
Since 1995, Mr. Charpentier has participated in more than 250 private, public or venture capital financings related to trans-border transactions involving American and European businesses.
Mr. Charpentier's expertise is recognized by his peers. For many years, his name has appeared in annual editions of many legal practice listings published by the Canadian law magazine Lexpert Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, Lexpert's Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada et le Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (published by LEXPERT / American Lawyer Media).
- "Les Risques d’obtenir… du capital de risque," Congrès de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 1999.
- "Étude de cas A : Premier appel public à l’épargne," Congrès de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 1998.
- "Opérations préalables au premier appel public à l’épargne," Congrès de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 1997.
- "Restrictions des pertes en capital lors d’un rachat d’actions," Colloque de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, December 1996.
- "Étude de cas B : Impact des modifications apportées au paragraphe 112(3) L.I.R. sur les conventions entre actionnaires," Congrès de l’Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 1996.
- "Réforme du Code civil en matière de droit des sociétés et des personnes morales," Congrès annuel du Barreau du Québec, Service de la formation permanente du Barreau du Québec, Montreal, 1995.
Officer of BIOQuébec
Officer of the Fondation du Centre hospitalier universitaire de Montréal (CHUM)
Life officer of the Fondation du Barreau du Québec
Former officer of the Association de planification fiscale et financière du Québec
Former officer of the Orchestre symphonique de Montréal
Former officer of Export Development Canada (EDC)
- "Comment acheter une PME," Conference organized by HEC Montréal, Desjardins Group and Acquizitions.biz in collaboration with several business partners – speaker and member of the conference guide drafting team, September 27, 2007.
- "Vendre l’entreprise aux employés," Conference on the financial and fiscal aspects of human resources/Human resources in the time of the information technology revolution, November 27, 2002.