Certificate in Civil Law, University of Montreal (2014)
Registered Patent Agent (United States) (2010)
Registered Patent Agent (Canada) (2009)
Master in Management, Innovation Management, IAE Toulouse School of Management (2005)
Master of Advanced Studies, Knowledge Discovery in Databases, University of Lyon (2004)
Master of Science in Engineering, Computer Systems: Software and Networks, University of Nantes École Polytechnique (2004)
Undergraduate degree, Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Caen (2001)
French version is available here.
Julien Lacheré specializes in advising companies on intellectual property matters relating to software, with a particular interest in artificial intelligence and other emerging technologies. He is a professional engineer who completed is Master of Advanced Studies in Knowledge Discovery in Databases at GERAD, a multi university research center regrouping experts from HEC Montréal, Polytechnique Montréal, McGill University and Université du Québec à Montréal. He is also a registered patent agent in Canada and the United States.
Julien has extensive experience in the building of patent portfolios for companies of various sizes, from start-up ventures looking to increase their value and attract funding, to multinational organizations preparing to enter new markets. Julien has particular experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications in the United States, Canada, Europe and China, advising on patent infringement and avoidance issues, and shaping and implementing comprehensive intellectual property strategies supporting business objectives and corporate strategies.
Before joining BCF, Julien Lacheré was Senior Patent Agent for Bombardier Aerospace, a global leader in business and commercial aircraft, where he was responsible for the company’s patent filing strategy. His duties included coordinating the various divisions to develop and execute a patent filing strategy aimed at identifying, evaluating and protecting inventions resulting from new product development and advanced research activities. Julien also advised on the management of trade secrets and confidential information and supported the negotiation of IP-related issues with third parties.
Julien began his career as a trainee patent engineer at Airbus Operations SAS in Toulouse, France before moving to Canada, where he joined the intellectual property group of a top-tier Canadian law firm.
Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ)
United States Patent & Trademark Office (Patent Agent)
Canadian Intellectual Property Office (Patent Agent)
- “Canadian Innovation Series: Patent Environment in the Aerospace Industry” organized by the Center for Innovation Law and Policy, University of Toronto Faculty of Law, January 27, 2014;
- "Valuable Patents for Smart Tech Start-ups" organized by TandemLaunch in Montreal, May 13, 2015;
- "Software Patents in the United States after Alice", organized by Faculté de droit de l’Université de Sherbrooke, November 20, 2015;
- "Atelier sur la propriété intellectuelle en Amérique du Nord", organized by Chambre de commerce et de l’industrie de Paris, March 2, 2016;
- "La brevetabilité dans l’ère du numérique: perspectives comparées Europe/États-Unis", organized at musée Cernuschi à Paris, September 29, 2016;
- "Atelier sur la propriété intellectuelle", organized by Entrepreneuriat Laval à l’Université Laval, October 14, 2016.
- “Le Forum international de la propriété intellectuelle — Québec (FORPIQ)”, a non-profit organization devoted to increasing the level of knowledge of innovative Canadian companies and their advisers about intellectual property assets, member of the Organizing Committee and Administrator, 2013-2017
- IPIC / McGill University Summer Courses in Intellectual Property, Lecturer on Design Patents, 2013-2017
- IPIC / McGill University Summer Courses in Intellectual Property, Leader of a patent filing strategy workshop, 2012-2016