- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1991)
- LL.B., Université de Montréal (1990)
- Baccalauréat en histoire, Université de Montréal (1985)
French version is available here.
Jean-François Dagenais specializes in construction and real estate development law. He regularly appears before the courts in cases involving commercial law, real estate law and extraordinary remedies. He also has solid experience in mediation and arbitration. Often called upon to play a role equivalent to in-house counsel, he responds to the needs of clients who ask him to review, interpret and negotiate contracts relating to their business, especially for large-scale real estate projects. A significant portion of his practice is also to help clients defend their construction claims. His practical, proactive approach, which involves supporting entrepreneurs throughout the contract process, helps reduce financial risks and set up negotiated solutions to avoid costly proceedings.
Mr. Dagenais is also involved in public-private partnership (PPP) projects in the health sector and, under the auspices of the Quebec’s trade associations for general contractors (the CEGQ) and infrastructure contractors (the AQEI), actively participates in amendments to the regulatory framework governing the construction industry through consultations with government authorities.
Mr. Dagenais served for 10 years as a member of the Board and Executive Committee of the CEGQ, as well as its Secretary. He currently chairs the AQEI’s training committee as well as being a member of its board of directors.
Named by his peers to be included in The Best Lawyers® in Canada's list in Construction Law, 2015 and 2016;
Named Leading Canadian Lawyer in Construction Law, L'EXPERT Magazine, de 2014 à 2016.
Since he started practicing, Mr. Dagenais has given many conferences on topics relating to construction law for the Canadian Institute, for Insight and in connection with the Développements récents en droit de la construction training program of the Barreau du Québec.
- "Ce que vous pouvez réclamer à titre de dommages et indemnisation : de quel type, à quel moment et à qui : une approche pratique," Superconference on construction, Canadian Institute, May 2010.
- "Planification stratégique de la fin des travaux pour éviter des délais et inconvénients coûteux," Superconference on construction, Canadian Institute, November 2009.
- "Transfert d’entreprise intergénérationnelle" (jointly with CIBC – Wood Gundy), February 2009.
- "La gestion d’un projet en PPP de l’acquisition du terrain à l’opération : une approche pratique du point de vue du secteur privé" (in collaboration with Patrice Picard), Project Management Institute, December 2008 – January 2009.
- "Assurer le succès de la livraison et la réception d’un projet de construction," Superconference on construction, Canadian Institute, November 2008.
- "Entrepreneurs généraux : les meilleures pratiques pour gérer les risques de litige et limiter votre responsabilité," Conference on Risk Management in construction contracts, Canadian Institute, April 2008.
- "Le degré de preuve et les méthodes pour mener avec succès une compensation monétaire additionnelle auprès d’un donneur d’ouvrage," Congrès annuel de la CEGQ, February 2008.
Member of BCF's Board of Directors.
Member of the Comité du Fonds d'indemnisation of the Barreau du Québec from 2000 to 2009.
Secretary and legal counsel for the Corporation des Entrepreneurs Généraux du Québec from 1998 to 2010.
Member of the Board of Directors and of the Executive Committee of the Corporation des entrepreneurs généraux du Québec from 1998 to 2010.
- "La contestation de la publication d'une hypothèque légale de construction pour absence de plus-value : un état du droit," Développements récents en droit de la construction, Éditions Yvon Blais, 2005.