- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1985)
- M.Fisc., Université de Sherbrooke (1985)
- MBA, Laval and York Universities (1983)
- LL.B., Université Laval (1980)
French version is available here.
Guy Plante is a BCF partner practising in our Quebec office and is a member of our Business Law group.
Mr. Plante is a member of many sections of that group, particularly those related to securities, estates and trusts, and financial services. He is a member of the Barreau du Québec and completed an MBA at Université Laval (Quebec) and York University (Toronto) as well as a Master in Taxation from the Université de Sherbrooke.
Mr. Plante practises in corporate and commercial law. He offers clients specialized expertise in mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations and commercial agreement negotiations. He has a solid experience as a negotiator, having represented entrepreneurs, institutions and governments in various important national and international transactions in Canada as well as in Mexico, Brazil, France, Germany, United Kingdom, and in more than ten states in the United States. He has also participated in many financings, either by prospectus, offering memorandums or private placements, particularly in the high-tech industry. He also practises in our Estate Planning and Trusts group, participating in estate planning, will drafting, and establishment of trusts.
- Association of MBAs of Québec
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Chambre de commerce de Québec
- Fiscal and Financial Planning Association
- Participated in more than a hundred mergers and acquisitions transactions in Canada and internationally.
- Senior counsel of a NASDAQ-listed company regarding the acquisition of a U.S. pharmaceutical company.
- Senior counsel to a processed wood company regarding the acquisition of the assets of an American company.
- Senior counsel of an insurance company regarding the sale of one of its divisions to a Canadian company.
- Senior counsel of an important financial group regarding the sale of its private banking services in favour of a Canadian chartered bank.
- Participated in many mergers and acquisitions transactions for a public company with respect to its expansion activities.
- Special counsel of an American company with respect to the acquisition of a Canadian manufacturing group operating in several Canadians cities.
- Senior counsel of a professional sport franchise regarding an important transaction.
- Special senior counsel for many transactions involving the sale or purchase of business assets or businesses in the pharmaceutical and medical industries, particularly the sale of pharmacies.
- Senior counsel of an investment fund with respect to its various acquisitions.
- Senior counsel of a brokerage firm regarding the sale of its activities to a financial institution.
- Senior counsel with respect to the sale of properties to investment funds and institutional investors.
- Senior counsel of the Federal Government with respect to the awarding of contracts to a non-profit organization regarding the training of fighter pilots from various countries that are members of NATO, and the sale and renting out of related infrastructures.
- Counsel to the Federal Government regarding the issuance of bonds aimed at financing the acquisition costs and upkeep of fighter aircrafts.
- Counsel to various investments funds regarding the taking of participation by way of debenture bonds and private placements.
- Senior counsel to a manufacturing company listed on the Toronto Exchange regarding the transactions having led to its privatisation.
- Senior counsel of a public company in the telephone industry with respect to the merger that led to its privatisation.
- Participated in the creation of many trusts either through a will or inter vivos.
- Participated in the creation of many Asset Protection Trusts.
- Special counsel regarding the incorporation and registration of non-profit organizations, including private foundations.
- Incorporated and registered one of these important Canadian private foundations that assists amateur athletes.
- Drafted intellectual property agreements for many clients in the high tech sector.
- Negotiated franchise agreements for many franchisees.
- Negotiated and drafted fabrication and distribution agreements for a manufacturing company.
- Drafted commercial agreements regarding financial taking of participation.
- Advised many clients on the best possible legal plan to be carried out in view of their objectives.
- Assisted many clients with shareholder conflict resolution.
- Counsel to many entrepreneurs with respect to estate planning and ownership transfer plans.
- Special counsel to the board of directors of an important Canadian company with respect to significant litigation having the potential to affect its operations.
- Special counsel with respect to the governance of a Canadian company.
- Special counsel to the board of directors of a Canadian company regarding its communications with the media. Assisted various start-ups.
A speaker and lecturer at different times during his practice, Mr. Plante taught for several years business law at the École du Barreau’s professional training of advocates program, specifically teaching the acquisition and sale of corporations course. He has also given courses and been a speaker at Université Laval, Université du Québec the l’Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF), and he sat for many years as a member of the Quebec Bar committee on multi-disciplinary practice.