Called to the Barreau du Québec (1993)
LL.B. (Civil Law), Université Laval (1992)
LL.B. (Common Law), University of New Brunswick (1991)
B.A. (Political Science / International Relations), University of British Columbia (1987)
French version is available here.
Didier Culat has acted in financings and commercial transactions with international or cross-border implications and in securities law. In that regard he has acted as corporate secretary and coordinating counsel for Canada and the United States to a manufacturer of motor coaches, Quebec relationship manager for an environmental management firm with operations in Alberta, Ontario and Quebec and coordinating counsel for a private equity firm in regards to their legal needs in Canada and the United States. He has particular experience in cross-border securitized transactions and the implementation of wholesale and retail financing programs for financial institutions.
Mr. Culat also frequently assists other Canadian and foreign law firms in their commercial or securities work in the Province of Quebec. He has also lectured and written for an audience outside of Canada on doing business in Quebec.
Originally from Lyon, France, Mr. Culat lived in Vancouver for 22 years and then studied in New Brunswick prior to moving to Quebec City. In addition to a bachelor’s degree in political science and international relations from the University of British Columbia, Mr. Culat has completed a law degree in common law at the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton and a law degree in civil law at Université Laval in Quebec City. He has been a Fellow of the Institute of Canadian Bankers since 1988. He was a student-at-law in the legal department of the Canadian Intergovernmental Affairs Secretariat and the Ministry of International Affairs (1990).
Mr. Culat is also a member of BCF’s Internet strategic team, which offers our clients strategic advice regarding their online presence. To understand and comply with the various laws that govern this ever-changing field requires the expertise of a multidisciplinary team like that of BCF.
- Chair of the Board of Directors of Jeffery Hale-St-Brigid’s Hospital since 2007
- Member of the Board of Directors, the administrative committee and the audit committee of Jeffery Hale Hospital since 2000
- Member of the French Chamber of Commerce in Canada since 1999
- Chair of the Organizing Committee of the Canadian Bar Association's 2001 Mid-Winter Meeting at Mt. Ste-Anne (2001)
- Member of the Executive Committee and Council Member of the Canadian Bar Association – Quebec Chapter (1996 to 2001)
- Member of the delegation of Canadian law experts for the World Bank for Team Canada (1998)
Independent board member, Centre intégré universitaire de santé et services sociaux (CIUSSS), Québec City.
Mr. Culat is a lecturer at the École du Barreau and co-founder of "Bon Appétit, Mon Ami," a fund-raising campaign for charities in Québec City.
- "Coveting thy neighbours beer: Intergovernmental Agreements Dispute Settlement and Interprovincial Trade Barriers," Les Cahiers de droit, vol. 33, no 2, 1992.
- "Qui financera une jeune entreprise ambitieuse et visionnaire ? Demandez à un avocat," Le Bulletin du Cercle, vol. 1, no 3, 2000. "The use of Offering Memorandum in Canada" (collaboration), Canadian Securities Law News, no 124, 2004. "Conditional Sales Contracts in Quebec" (collaboration), Doing Business with Canada, Pennsylvania Bar Institute 2005-4117, p. Sales-45, 2005. "Official Languages in Canada," Doing Business with Canada, Pennsylvania Bar Institute 2005-4117, p. Intro-11, 2005.
Michelle Soucy418 694-2920 #4347
Quebec CityComplexe Jules-Dallaire, T1
2828 Laurier Blvd, 12th Floor
Quebec City, Quebec G1V 0B9
tel. : 418 266-4500
fax : 418 266-4515