- LL.M. McGill University (1989) (Thesis Advisor: Paul-André Crépeau)
- Called to the Barreau du Québec (1982)
- LL.B. Université Laval (1981)
French version is available here.
Catherine Lapointe, a partner at BCF, has been with our firm since 1995. She has more than 30 years of experience in business law. She is co-leader of the firm's Venture Capital strategic team. She is also a member of the Mergers and Acquisitions strategic team.
Most of Ms. Lapointe’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions as well as equity and quasi-equity financing. She also handles tax and corporate reorganizations, and the drafting and negotiation of various strategic agreements (e.g., service contracts, profit-sharing plans, limited partnership agreements, etc.).
Ms. Lapointe often advises purchasers or investors, whether they are individuals (employees or third parties), SMBs or larger corporations. She also frequently counsels clients with respect to market consolidation strategies and has developed an expertise in the purchase of sale and financing of insurance brokerage firms.
Since she started practicing law, Ms. Lapointe has been involved in several major venture capital, investment and financing files,as well as in the creation of fund mainly with respect to investors (institutional investors, financial institutions, private investors), but also for businesses.
Although her client base is mainly located in Quebec, Ms. Lapointe has had the opportunity to work on matters elsewhere in Canada, as well as in France and in the United States.
"L’absence de relève pour votre entreprise : connaissez-vous bien vos alternatives ?" (with Anne-Marie Dupras and Martin Guestier), Colloque Planification successorale, relève d’entreprise, Montreal 2007.
"L’achat d’une société par ses cadres," (with Anne-Marie Dupras and Martin Guestier), Congrès 2006, Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 2006.
"L'achat d'une société par ses cadres," Il faut savoir, BCF, 2006.
"Étude de cas : Achat d'une entreprise," (with Richard Gagné, Jean-Luc Fréchette and Marie-Andrée Côté), Congrès 2003, Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 2003.
"Convention entre actionnaires et stratégies de transferts d'entreprises," (with Nathalie Gagnon), Colloque Fiscalité de la PME, Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 2003.
"Panel : capital de risque," (with Danielle Milette, Richard Bourget and Pierre Pharand), Congrès 1998, Association de planification fiscale et financière, Montreal, 1998.
Board member (since 2010) and Vice President (since 2012) of the Board of Arion orchestre baroque.
Member of the Executive Committee (since 2012) of Arion orchestre baroque.
Jury member of the Women of Distinction Awards of the Women’s Y Foundation (2013 and member of the Grand Jury 2014 and 2015).
- Board member of Fondation En vue (since 2014).
Board member (2008-2013) and President (2010-2013) of the Ethic and Governance Committee of Société de développement des entreprises culturelles (SODEC).
Board member (2001-2005) and President (2002-2005) of Réseau financier Montréal
Board member of BCF (2003-2006), the Rotary Club of Montreal (2006 and 2007) and Montréal Baroque (2008-2010).
Board member of AFA Environnement inc. (2000-2002).
Committee member of the Women of Distinction Awards of the Women’s Y Foundation (2010-2012)
- Association of Barreau du Québec
- Lawyers Without Borders Canada
- Canadian Venture Capital Association (CVCA)
- Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (CCCA)
- Association of Quebec Women in Finance (AFFQ)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Rotary Club of Montréal
- The Montreal Counsel of Foreign Relations (CORIM)
- Héritage Montréal
- Réseau Capital
- "Contexte particulier des transactions relatives aux PME"(co-speaker), The Canadian Bar Association, February 2013.
- "Amorçage et démarrage : aspects juridiques et financement" Capital Innovation, Septembre 19, 2011.
- "La relève vue par les repreneurs" (co-speaker), Opération relève, Rivière-du-Loup, May 5, 2011.
- "La relève vue par les vendeurs" (co-speaker), Opération relève, Rivière-du-Loup, May 5, 2011.
- "La relève vue par les repreneurs," (co-speaker), Opération relève, Dorval, February 23, 2011.
- "La relève vue par les vendeurs," (co-speaker), Opération relève, Dorval, February 23, 2011.
- "Quelques aspects juridiques des acquisitions," (co-speaker), Vision PDG, Association québécoise des technologies, Mont-Tremblant, February 17, 2011.
- Co-presenter of "Panel sur la gouvernance et la gestion de risque," Colloque Transfert familial : gouvernance et gestion de risques. Finances. Émotion. Pérennité, BCF third annual symposium, November 4, 2009.
- Co-presenter of "Panel sur le financement dans un contexte d’acquisition par les cadres," Colloque L’acquisition d’une entreprise par ses cadres, BCF second annual symposium, September 17, 2008.
- "La croissance par acquisition : quelques aspects juridiques des acquisitions," Conference on the challenges of growth, Secor-Taktik, May 10, 2006.
- "Aspects légaux et fiscaux : est-il difficile de réussir à céder l’entreprise…," (co-speaker), Colloque Relève et transmission d’entreprise, Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de l’Est de l’île de Montréal, March 29, 2006.
- Moderator of the panel Due Diligence in BioTech: Understanding what Business Intelligence is needed when Targeting and Investing in Biotech, Conférence BioPharma Business Intelligence 2, November 8, 2002.
- Participation at various conferences of the Association de planification fiscale et financière (see section Publications).