Called to the Barreau du Québec (1994)
LL.B. Université de Montréal (1993)
B.Sc. Université de Montréal (1990)
French version is available here.
André Ryan is head of BCF Litigation, a team of over 65 lawyers. His primary practice areas are commercial litigation, administrative law, and employment law, and he represents clients before the courts and administrative tribunals alike. Mr. Ryan has acquired special expertise representing parties before commissions of inquiry. He coordinates the activities of the BCF Class Action Defence Strategic Team. Mr. Ryan is an accredited commercial and employment mediator.
Although Mr. Ryan’s original background is in litigation, he has considerably extended his practice into commercial law and now advises clients on the negotiation of strategic agreements, partnerships, and joint ventures, whether local, national or international, as well as corporate governance, media relations, and crisis management. He also increasingly acts as a business law advisor to corporate clients, most notably in connection with crisis management, international issues, and entertainment law.
Through his role as the member contact for BCF with Meritas Law Firms Worldwide (Meritas) and his involvement in various international business and professional organizations, Mr. Ryan has developed a significant global network of contacts for BCF on all five continents. Mr. Ryan rose through the Meritas ranks, assuming the role of world chairman of the organization from April 2013 to April 2015. During that time, he coordinated the development and implementation of an ambitious strategic plan for Meritas, focused on quality, project management, and the globalization of professional services for the 7,000 lawyers in 80 countries who are part of the network. As chairman of Meritas, Mr. Ryan made a number of presentations on developments in the practice of law in the globalization era to audiences ranging from 30 to 400 people, in North America, Asia, Europe, and Latin America.
Because of the numerous foreign contacts Mr. Ryan has established, foreign companies seeking to set up operations in Canada regularly call on his services. Mr. Ryan coordinates the legal aspects of such start-ups and also advises Quebec companies on the international aspects of their businesses, remaining involved when they retain foreign-based professionals and playing an active role in the negotiation and execution of strategic agreements and various partnerships. Mr. Ryan provides access to his international network of contacts for BCF clients and thereby facilitates international trade for numerous Quebec companies. Mr. Ryan is co-head of the BCF International Strategic Team.
- Appointed "Fellow" of the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL), 2017.
- Chairman of Meritas Law Firms Worldwide (April 2013 to April 2015)
- Meritas Law Firms Worldwide, World Vice-Chairman, responsible for quality assurance and compliance (2011 to 2013)
- Member of the Superior Court Liaison Committee (2000 to 2003)
- BCF Board Secretary (2002 to 2006)
- Member of the International Board of Directors of Meritas Law Firms Worldwide and Chairman of its Canadian Management Committee (2004 to 2007)
- President of the Quebec Liberal Party Legal Affairs Commission and member of the Executive Committee (2007 to 2012)
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Member of the Board, the Executive Committee and the Audit Committee of Le Devoir daily newspaper
- “La Gestion de crise : guide de survie du conseiller juridique, L’Image à consolider ou à refaire une fois la tempête passée : quel est le travail du conseiller juridique?”, Insight, 2012
- “Sharpening your Skills – Current Challenges and Opportunities in Conducting Business in the Americas,” (in collaboration with Kenneth S. Atlas, Charles Spector, Kristina Unsworth, and Daniel J. Paul), CCCA 2012 World Summit and Spring Conference, 2012
- ”La gestion de crise en entreprise : l'ABC de la relation avec les médias” (in collaboration with Isabelle Perras), Association of Corporate Counsel, 2010.
- ”Gestion de crise : comment concilier la protection du public et les intérêts de son client?” Barreau du Québec Conference, 2010.
- The Quebec Class Action: A Roadmap (Contributing author), LexisNexis, an easy-to-use primer designed for business people and in-house counsel, 2016.
- “Your Gateway to the European Union”, BCF’s International Strategic Team, 2015.
- “Gestion de crise : comment concilier la protection du public et les intérêts de son client?” (in collaboration with Mélanie Joly), published as part of the Barreau du Québec 2010 conference papers.
- “Gestion des litiges et mécanismes de résolutions de conflits” (a collective work intended for information technology SMEs), Le Guide des aspects juridiques pour les PME en technologies de l'information, Montréal, Réseau Inter Logique
Joanne Berthiaume514 397-6699 #3001
1100 René-Lévesque Blvd West
Montreal, Quebec H3B 5C9
tel. : 514 397-8500
fax : 514 397-8515
Quebec CityComplexe Jules-Dallaire, T1
2828 Laurier Blvd, 12th Floor
Quebec City, Quebec G1V 0B9
tel. : 418 266-4500
fax : 418 266-4515